[daip] AIPS Help

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Mon Apr 30 11:59:01 EDT 2012

vivianchen wrote:
> Hi,
>

> I've attached a copy of the amplitude vs. time graph I obtained from the
> VLA data set AY0192 (A-Array Configuration, C-Band). When I plot either
> amplitude vs. time or amplitude vs. uv-distance for stokes 'RL' and 'LR'
> of Sgra*, the plots will have those horizontal lines cutting across. I
> was wondering whether you have any idea what those horizontal blanks
> cutting across may be.

One question - did you store these data on disk in "compressed" format?
Since SgrA* is very strong in the parallel hand polarizations, this
could introduce a "digitization" in the much weaker cross-hands.  That
digitization would be in the real and imaginary parts as so be messed up
by any non-zero phases when plotting amplitude.  So it is just a
thought.  If RR is 32 Jy then the least bit in the compressed data is 1
mJy.  But that would change with each sample and not be as clean as is
shown in your plots...

??