[daip] running AIPS remotely

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Fri Sep 9 16:33:32 EDT 2011

Nicholas Elias wrote:
> Hi Eric,
>
> I got some 2008 Q-band aperture holography AIPS images from Brigette
> Hesman (I think that they're AIPS images, since my FITS viewer can't view
> at them).  I'd like to run AIPS so that I can convert them to uvfits and
> import them into CASA (I have software there to calculate photon orbital
> angular momentum quantities).
>
> I'm at my science retreat in Flagstaff, and I tried to run AIPS remotely
> on casa-dev-09, a node on the development cluster.  I remembered my old
> AIPS number (1525).  I had to go through the firewall, of course.  When I
> ran AIPS, it kept asking me for the firewall password and kept printing
> the following error messages before I killed it.
>
> Permission denied (publickey,gssapi-with-mic,password).
>  ZMSGOP: FILE DA01:MSD001000.001;      NOT FOUND
> MSGWRT ERROR      2 AT OPEN
> AIPS 1: ZERROR: ON FILE DA00:ACD000000;
>  ZMSGOP: FILE DA01:MSD001000.001;      NOT FOUND
> MSGWRT ERROR      2 AT OPEN
> AIPS 1: ZERROR: IN ZDAOPN ERRNO = 13 (Permission denied)
>  ZMSGOP: FILE DA01:MSD001000.001;      NOT FOUND
> MSGWRT ERROR      2 AT OPEN
> AIPS 1: ACCOUNT: OPEN ERROR      6
>  ZMSGOP: FILE DA01:MSD001000.001;      NOT FOUND
> MSGWRT ERROR      2 AT OPEN
> AIPS 1: ZABORS: signal 2 received
>  ZMSGOP: FILE DA01:MSD001000.001;      NOT FOUND
> MSGWRT ERROR      2 AT OPEN
> AIPS 1: ABORT!
>
> Is it possible to run it remotely?
>
> Thanks, Nick

It should be - are you in the aipsuser group - group membership is
required.  Remember to say "aips notv" to avoid trying all sorts of hard
things involving starting other processes etc which may force passwords.

The MSD001000.001\; message is not important but the premission denied
is not good.

Eric