[daip] A question about the Tv server

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Fri Sep 2 17:10:33 EDT 2011

Pietro Cassaro wrote:

> This is the output after kleenex:
>
>  >kleenex
> AIPS 1: Begin check for any 'standard' scratch files
> AIPS 1: Scratch files -- destroyed:    0  still active:    0
> AIPS 1: Destroyed empty user catalog on disk   2
> AIPS 1: Destroyed empty user catalog on disk   3
> AIPS 1: Destroyed empty user catalog on disk   4
> AIPS 1: Destroyed empty user catalog on disk   5
> AIPS 1: Destroyed empty user catalog on disk   6
> AIPS 1: Destroyed empty user catalog on disk   7
> AIPS 1: Destroyed empty user catalog on disk   8
> AIPS 1: Destroyed empty user catalog on disk  12
> AIPS 1: Destroyed empty user catalog on disk  13
> AIPS 1: Destroyed empty user catalog on disk  14
> AIPS 1: Destroyed empty user catalog on disk  15
> AIPS 1: Destroyed empty user catalog on disk  17
> AIPS 1: User  200:   865 messages, oldest written 31-AUG-2011  18:54:41
> AIPS 1: Deleted      0 messages
> AIPS 1: Saved POPS environment in area named 'LASTEXIT'
> TVSERVER told to shut down by XAS
> XAS: Quitting NOW.
> AIPS 1: Session command-line history saved.
> AIPS 1: localhos 31DEC10 TST: Cpu=      0.1  Real=  12829  IO=        10
>

> Yes, now the TV works, but the TEKserver do not, neither as window nor
> iconic. Simply
> is not present in all the workspace. The tvinit clear the TV server as
> should do, but have no
> effect about the TEK.

I wanted to see the messages as you started up aips after having cleared
everything away.  And then the messages doing a TKPL to plot a plot file
on the TeK.  At that point check the icons.  Note that TekServ starts as
an icon in one xterm and then, when TKPL runs, awakens a second
xterm-like window actually containing the plot.  That is usually not in
icon form as it starts but the first window remains in icon form.

You are staying up way into the night worrying about a fragile tool that
most people no longer use.  The TV is an excellent graphics device on
modern computers and works nearly as well as the Tek for almost
everything.  I can't remember when I last used the Tek other than to
test the Tek itself.  We gave up on reading cursor positions from it
years ago (the code remains but with warnings of its failings) and added
TV code to do eveything once done only  on the TeK.

It would be nice to get it to work, but...