[daip] aips tv issues

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Mon Oct 31 13:21:43 EDT 2011

Wendy Lane Peters wrote:
> Hi Eric,
>
> I had a question about AIPS on my laptop.  According to my setup
> files, I am running 24 bit color.  Nonetheless, every time I start
> AIPS, I get a message
>

> UNIXSERVERS: Start TV LOCK daemon TVSRV1 on stargazer
> TVSERVER: Starting AIPS TV locking, Unix (local) domain
> UNIXSERVERS: Start XAS1 on stargazer, DISPLAY :0.0
> XAS: ** TrueColor FOUND!!!
> XAS: ***  Using shared memory option for speed ***
> XAS: Using screen width 1910 height 980,
>      max grey level 8191 in 16 grey-scale memories
>

> but despite this suggestion of success I almost never get a
> TV. It doesn't even create an icon for it down with my list of
> windows (on my last laptop the tv always started minimized for
> some reason).  I can usually only get one if I start AIPS first
> thing after rebooting the machine.
>
> Do you have any idea what I can do to get a tv more regularly?  I
> also don't get the TKSRV it always claims has started for that
> matter but I can live without that.  I always get a message window
> so I know AIPS has permission to open the windows.
>
> I have a 64 bit machine running Ubuntu 11.04 I don't have the
> /etc/services set up for AIPS but I have never needed them for my
> laptops in the past either.
>
> thanks,
> Wendy

If you simply say
        aips
on the startup line, then the TV required is an Internet TV and the
/etc/services file must be adjusted to allow for that.  If you type
         aips tv=local
then unix sockets are used and the /etc/services file is not relevant.
The TK and TK are always supposed to start in icon form, the MSG server
starts already open.