[daip] pcal

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Wed Oct 12 13:53:49 EDT 2011

Laura Chomiuk wrote:
> That really seems to work!
> Strangely, it also makes a big difference on some older data where ~6
> minutes of data are all combined into one scan. Setting solint=0 gives
> gibberish, really high D terms, while setting solint =0.9 seems to do the
> trick!
>
> I have to admit, i don't really understand what is going on here. Why does
> crossing scan boundaries make for such dramatically wrong results? Is it
> just an artifact of PCAL strangeness?
>
> Also---the calibrator is faint, and it would be nice to use all 6
> minutes of time on the source. I guess this is not possible, at the
> moment?
>
> Thanks so much!
> 	Laura
>

> On Tue, 11 Oct 2011, Eric Greisen wrote:
>
>> Your data set has > 2 minutes on 3C84 divided into 3 scans.  A default
>> SOLINT is 10 minutes causing it to treat the data as 1 scan.  Break it
>> up by setting SOLINT=0.9 for example and you will get good solutions.
>>
>> Eric

SOLINT=0.9 divides your 6 sec of data into 7 separate times all with
slightly different parallactic angles.  I think the fitter requires at
least 2 times and am working on fixing PCAL to force that in cases such
as yours.  I chose 0.9 in your 3C84 data because that was the length of
your observed scans.  Try 3 on your 6-min one.

I had to fix a bunch of things - run a MNJ afetr now to get improved
PCAL (factor of 12 decrease in I/O) and better table sorting incl
killing the temporary SC files properly.