[daip] Are there any adverbs that store the Total Flux Density or N-pixels

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Fri Oct 7 15:39:14 EDT 2011

Wasim Raja wrote:
> Dear Eric,
>   Is there a keyword that stores the following:
>   1) Total Flux Density
>   2) Number of pixels used in a current run of IMSTAT
>
>   My goal is to use AIPS task "SYSTEM" to output
>   the total flux density specified by blc and trc in task
>   IMSTAT. While I am able to grab the values of
>   the mean flux density using PIXAVG, I am not able
>   to access the TOTAL FLUX DENSITY or the
>   NUMBER OF PIXELS used in computing the mean.
>
>   I of course can "SEE" the Number of Pixels used, on
>   the TV SCREEN, but as you must have guessed, I
>   am dealing with a large number of these images and
>   hence desire to automate the process.

I am afraid not.  You can compute them and store them in
local variables in POPS.  The total number of pixels is
XX = (TRC(1)-BLC(1)+1)*(TRC(2)-BLC(2)+1)
The Clean beam area in pixels is rather harder:
keyword='bmaj'; geth; x = keyv(1)
keyword='bmin'; geth; x = x*keyv(1)*1.1331
keyword='cdelt1'; geth; y = keyv(1)
keyword='cdelt2'; geth; y = y * keyw(1);
x = x / abs(y)

will make x = number of pixels in a clean beam area

Total flux is then

pixavg * xx / x

xx, x, y are all pops variables known and useful for scratch.