[daip] LR confusion localhost

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Sat Nov 26 15:48:03 EST 2011

Lawrence Rudnick wrote:
>   Eric -
>
> I've screwed up something.  cannot run aips or midnight job, etc. etc.
> because my definitions/paths, etc. who knows what else is wrong.  if
> there's some simple prescription you can give me, that would be great.
> this is on my macintosh laptop. 31DEC11
>
> i never got the command "aips" to work after I installed, so i made an
> alias, and to start up aips i enter
> /Users/larry/bin/AIPS/START_AIPS tv=local:0
>
> used to work, but now in response i get START_AIPS:  LOCALHOST is not
> defined in HOSTS.LIST; cannot start AIPS
>
> part of the problem is that when I type "set", i see that local is
> defined as /Users/larry/bin/AIPS/31DEC11/UNKNOWN/SYSTEM:
> as well as lots of other definitions going to "UNKNOWN"
>
> here's the full output of "set" .  (after manually typing $CDTST, which
> responds with
> AIPS_VERSION=/Users/larry/bin/AIPS/31DEC11
>  )

The file $AIPS_ROOT/HOSTS.LIST needs to contain a definition of
LOCALHOST not unlike the following definition of PRIMATE in that file:

+  PRIMATE    LNX64   COAOARN  NONE        Pentium 500 MHz, Eric Greisen

where the + is in column 1, the hostname (LOCALHOST) starts in column 3
the architecture in the next field, the site name in the field after
that, etc.

The LOGIN.SH and LOGIN.CSH files define LAPTOP as "YES" or "NO".  If the
former, then LOCALHOST is used as the host name.

Eric