[daip] Velocity conversion

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Wed Nov 23 11:50:27 EST 2011

Flor Allaert wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm analysing HI data from several galaxies and the observations were
> performed at different telescopes. I'm trying to convert all the
> velocities to 'RADIO wrt SUN' using AIPS, but I'm not quite sure how
> to do this. Should I use ALTDEF? And if so, should I manually
> calculate the velocity at the reference pixel?

AIPS does not have DOPSET capabilities and so depends on the telescope
or the user to provide them.  I would suggest optical wrt Sun which is
more commonly used.  I think that is what the VLA did back when we
tracked velocities.

ALTDEF is for letting the user provide the information and you may have
to compute it.