[daip] Problem with FITLD

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Fri Nov 18 10:45:03 EST 2011

Matthew Merlo wrote:
> Hello
>
> We are having problems running the FITLD task in aips.  Below is the
> output when we try to run the task.  The file trying to be accessed does
> exist on the data drive.  However, inside aips, pcat does not display
> any files.  I am unsure if this is the cause of the errors below.   Any
> help you could provide would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.
>
> Matt Merlo
>
> QUASAR>  FITLD1: Task FITLD  (release of 31DEC10) begins
> QUASAR>  FITLD1: ZTPOPN: DISK DEVICE = DA01:PKS1136+POL_I.FITS1 NOT FOUND
> QUASAR>  FITLD1: TAPIO: ERROR   2 OPENING FILE
> QUASAR>  FITLD1: ALSO COULD NOT OPEN DA01:PKS1136+POL_I.FITS
> QUASAR>  FITLD1: ERROR      8 OPENING TAPE
> QUASAR>  FITLD1: Purports to die of UNNATURAL causes
> QUASAR>  FITLD1: quasar       31DEC10 TST: Cpu=       0.0  Real=       0
> QUASAR>  FITLD1: Task FITLD  (release of 31DEC10) begins
> QUASAR>  FITLD1: ZFULLN: NO TRANSLATION FOR LNAME='da01'
> QUASAR>  FITLD1: ZTPOPN: NO SUCH LOGICAL DEVICE = da01:pks1136_POL_I.FITS1
> QUASAR>  FITLD1: TAPIO: ERROR   3 OPENING FILE
> QUASAR>  FITLD1: ALSO COULD NOT OPEN da01:pks1136_POL_I.FITS
> QUASAR>  FITLD1: ERROR      8 OPENING TAPE
> QUASAR>  FITLD1: Purports to die of UNNATURAL causes
> QUASAR>  FITLD1: quasar       31DEC10 TST: Cpu=       0.0  Real=       0
> QUASAR>  FITLD1: Task FITLD  (release of 31DEC10) begins
> QUASAR>  FITLD1: ZFULLN: NO TRANSLATION FOR LNAME='da01'
> QUASAR>  FITLD1: ZTPOPN: NO SUCH LOGICAL DEVICE = da01:pks1136_pol_I.fits1
> QUASAR>  FITLD1: TAPIO: ERROR   3 OPENING FILE
> QUASAR>  FITLD1: ALSO COULD NOT OPEN da01:pks1136_pol_I.fits
> QUASAR>  FITLD1: ERROR      8 OPENING TAPE
> QUASAR>  FITLD1: Purports to die of UNNATURAL causes
> QUASAR>  FITLD1: quasar       31DEC10 TST: Cpu=       0.0  Real=       0

Your FITS file is a file not in AIPS internal format.  It should reside
somewhere on your disk system.  I keep mine in a special area
/home/primate2/PRIMATE_1/FITS
with an environment variable (MYFITS) that points at it.  Then
datain='MYFITS:xxx
where there is no close quote on the string so that case is preserved
and xxx is the name of the file in my area.  NOte that that area should
not be DA01 which is where data in AIPS internal format are stored.
Case is significant in the value of DATAIN and the first try says that
it can translate $DA01 but that there are no files named
PKS1136+POL_I.FITS1
in that area with or without the trailing 1.  The other two say that
there is no translation for $da01.  You must get DATAIN correct to load
a disk FITS file.