[daip] AIPS Installation Question

Jeremy MacHattie jmachattie at astro.queensu.ca
Wed Nov 16 00:01:03 EST 2011

Hi there,

I'm currently trying to install AIPS on my personal computer to allow for
work outside the office.  I run Windows 7, so have attempted to install
using Cygwin first before resorting to putting in a Linux partition.  The
installation seems to go fine (I'm using
http://www.aips.nrao.edu/install.shtml as a guide) until I reach the
"Running FILAIP, POPSGN, SETPAR" section.  I'm able to do the '.
./login.sh' and '$cdtst' just fine, and the outputs match what the
instructions indicate they should be.  However, when I attempt to run
FILAIP, I get the following errors:

$ run filaip
Data disk assignments:
DADEVS.PL: This program is untested under Perl version 5.010
  (Using global default file /home/Jeremy/DA00/DADEVS.LIST for DADEVS.PL)
   Disk 1 (1) is /home/Jeremy/DATA/LOCALHOST_1

Starting up FILAIP (RELEASE OF 31DEC11)
/home/Jeremy/31DEC11/SYSTEM/UNIX/run: line 157:
/home/Jeremy/31DEC11/LINUX/LOAD/
FILAIP.EXE: cannot execute binary file
/home/Jeremy/31DEC11/SYSTEM/UNIX/run: line 157: exec:
/home/Jeremy/31DEC11/LINUX
/LOAD/FILAIP.EXE: cannot execute: Permission denied

I guess my main question is whether AIPS can even be installed using
Cygwin, or if I do indeed have to create a Linux partition.  If not, I'm
unsure of how to tackle this issue, and any help would be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks,
Jeremy