[daip] AIPS install failure Linux 64 bit

Bill Boyd bboyd at astro.berkeley.edu
Thu May 12 14:23:40 EDT 2011

Dear AIPS Designate,

I just tried to build the 31DEC10 version of AIPS on a 64-bit Linux machine (openSUSE 11.3) and I am getting the oddest failure.  When the install script tries to build XAS, the compile command for xas.c is 'c xas.c' instead of '/usr/bin/gcc xas.c', and none of the options are showing up.  I tried running 'make -d xas' in the XAS directory but don't get any further clues.   I'm guessing that the environment is messed up such that the Makefile does not set the $CC and other variables correctly.  This may be the first time we've tried to build AIPS on a purely 64 bit system with no 32 bit libraries, so that may be a factor.

Here is the exact output of the install script:

AipsWiz: About to try to make XAS...

rm -f *.o xas XAS
c xas.c
make: c: Command not found
make: [xas.o] Error 127 (ignored)

Does this error look like something you've seen before?  If so, your experienced knowledge will certainly save me time and make a bunch of astronomers happy.

Thanks,
Bill Boyd

Bill Boyd
System Administrator	 UCB Astronomy