[daip] Help on installing AIPS on MacBook Pro

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Tue Mar 22 15:52:29 EDT 2011

khadija El Bouchefry wrote:
> Dear Prof. Eric
>
>  I am Post doc at the University of KwaZulu Natal (South Africa).  I
> have installed AIPS on a Macbook Pro (10.6.3, X86_64) using a binary
> installation but when I run aips (from an X11 terminal) the TV does not
> work. I followed all the instructions given at the aips website but in vain.
>
> I have created the /etc/sysctl.conf where I've added the following value :
>
>             kern.sysv.shmmax=10485760
>             kern.sysv.shmmin=1
>             kern.sysv.shmmni=32
>             kern.sysv.shmseg=8
>             kern.sysv.shmall=4096
>
> but still the TV did not work.
>
> I also typed "xdpyinfo | more" and that's what I see:
>
> default visual id: 0x22
>
> visual: visual id: 0x22
>
> class: PseudoColor
>
> depth: 8 planes.
>
> When I did run aips from the X11 terminal, I ve got the following message:
>
> <<START_AIPS: User data area assignments:
>
> DADEVS.PL <http://dadevs.pl/>: This program is untested under Perl version 5.010
>
>   (Using global default file /Users/fethiahmed/Aips/DA00/DADEVS.LIST for DADEVS.PL <http://dadevs.pl/>)
>    Disk 1 (1) is /Users/fethiahmed/Aips/DATA/LOCALHOST_1
>

> Tape assignments:
>    Tape 1 is REMOTE
>    Tape 2 is REMOTE
>
> START_AIPS: I am GUESSING you are at a workstation called localhost
>
> START_AIPS: Starting TV servers on localhost asynchronously
> START_AIPS:  - with Internet Sockets...
> START_AIPS: Starting TPMON daemons on LOCALHOST asynchronously...
>
> Starting up 31DEC11 AIPS with normal priority
> DADEVS.PL <http://dadevs.pl/>: This program is untested under Perl version 5.010
> XASERVERS: Start TV LOCK daemon TVSERV on localhost
>
> XASERVERS: Start XAS on localhost, DISPLAY /tmp/launch-g9f63g/org.x:0
> TVSERVER: Starting AIPS TV locking, Inet domain
> XASERVERS: Start graphics server TEKSRV on localhost, DISPLAY /tmp/launch-g9f63g/org.x:0
>
> XASERVERS: Start message server MSGSRV on localhost, DISPLAY /tmp/launch-g9f63g/org.x:0
> STARTPMON: [LOCALHOST] Starting TPMON1 with output SUPPRESSED
> Begin the one true AIPS number 1 (release of 31DEC11) at priority =   0
>
> XAS: ***********************************
> XAS: **  No TrueColor found
> XAS: **  Resorting to PseudoColor
>
> XAS: ***********************************
> XAS: ***  Using shared memory option for speed ***
> XAS: Using screen width 1430 height 778,
>
>      max grey level 196 in 16 grey-scale memories
> *Shared memory id failure: Cannot allocate memory*
> AIPS 1: You are assigned TV device/server   1
>
> AIPS 1: You are assigned graphics device/server   1
> AIPS 1: Enter user ID number
> ?12
> AIPS 1:                          31DEC11 AIPS:
>
> AIPS 1:      Copyright (C) 1995-2010 Associated Universities, Inc.
> AIPS 1:            AIPS comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY;
> AIPS 1:                 for details, type HELP GNUGPL

> [...]

Go to System Preferences and select Displays.  in that window select
millions of colors rather than 256.  The pseudo-color mode of XAS has
not been adequately tested of late since no one in their right mind
would use it on modern computers.

You do have to set a reasonable large size for shared memory and be sure
to reboot after creating the necessary file.