[daip] New Ticket - [!ZKC-985987]: Help on installing AIPS on MacBook

Khadija EL Bouchefry do-not-reply at nrao.edu
Thu Mar 3 06:33:36 EST 2011

New Ticket: Help on installing AIPS  on MacBook

Dear Sir,
I am Post doc at the University of KwaZulu Natal (South Africa).  I have installed AIPS on a Macbook Pro (10.6.3, X86_64) using a binary installation but when I run aips (from an X11 terminal) the TV does not work. I followed all the instructions given at the aips website but in vain.

I have created the /etc/sysctl.conf where I've added the following value :

            kern.sysv.shmmax=10485760
            kern.sysv.shmmin=1
            kern.sysv.shmmni=32
            kern.sysv.shmseg=8
            kern.sysv.shmall=4096

but still the TV did not work.

I also typed "xdpyinfo | more" and that's what I see:

default visual id: 0x22

visual: visual id: 0x22

class: PseudoColor

depth: 8 planes.

When I did run aips from the X11 terminal, I ve got the following message:

<<START_AIPS: User data area assignments:

DADEVS.PL: This program is untested under Perl version 5.010

  (Using global default file /Users/fethiahmed/Aips/DA00/DADEVS.LIST for DADEVS.PL)
   Disk 1 (1) is /Users/fethiahmed/Aips/DATA/LOCALHOST_1

Tape assignments:
   Tape 1 is REMOTE
   Tape 2 is REMOTE

START_AIPS: I am GUESSING you are at a workstation called localhost

START_AIPS: Starting TV servers on localhost asynchronously
START_AIPS:  - with Internet Sockets...
START_AIPS: Starting TPMON daemons on LOCALHOST asynchronously...

Starting up 31DEC11 AIPS with normal priority
DADEVS.PL: This program is untested under Perl version 5.010
XASERVERS: Start TV LOCK daemon TVSERV on localhost

XASERVERS: Start XAS on localhost, DISPLAY /tmp/launch-g9f63g/org.x:0
TVSERVER: Starting AIPS TV locking, Inet domain
XASERVERS: Start graphics server TEKSRV on localhost, DISPLAY /tmp/launch-g9f63g/org.x:0

XASERVERS: Start message server MSGSRV on localhost, DISPLAY /tmp/launch-g9f63g/org.x:0
STARTPMON: [LOCALHOST] Starting TPMON1 with output SUPPRESSED
Begin the one true AIPS number 1 (release of 31DEC11) at priority =   0

XAS: ***********************************
XAS: **  No TrueColor found
XAS: **  Resorting to PseudoColor

XAS: ***********************************
XAS: ***  Using shared memory option for speed ***
XAS: Using screen width 1430 height 778,

     max grey level 196 in 16 grey-scale memories
Shared memory id failure: Cannot allocate memory
AIPS 1: You are assigned TV device/server   1

AIPS 1: You are assigned graphics device/server   1
AIPS 1: Enter user ID number
?12
AIPS 1:                          31DEC11 AIPS:

AIPS 1:      Copyright (C) 1995-2010 Associated Universities, Inc.
AIPS 1:            AIPS comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY;
AIPS 1:                 for details, type HELP GNUGPL

AIPS 1: This is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it
AIPS 1: under certain conditions; type EXPLAIN GNUGPL for details.
AIPS 1: Previous session command-line history recovered.

AIPS 1: TAB-key completions enabled, type HELP READLINE for details.
AIPS 1: Recovered POPS environment from last exit

So I am just wondering if you could help to run aips on my MacBook?

Best wishes,

Khadija

Ticket Details
Ticket ID: ZKC-985987