[daip] question about midnight job

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Mon Jun 27 17:44:22 EDT 2011

Wendy Lane Peters wrote:
> Hi Eric,
>
> I recently upgraded my Linux (to Ubuntu 10.04), and I can't seem to
> get the MNJ to run any more.  I get the following error:
>
> AIPSUPD - calling UPDCVS
> UPDCVS - cvs defined but can't execute!
> AIPSUPD - UPDCVS failed, Status=1
>

> I've checked -- cvs exists, it is in my path, and for good
> measure I just reinstalled the version available in my package
> manager.
>
> I tried running as root (although I originally installed aips as
> myself) and that does not help.
>
> I set $cvscmd to point at my cvs location before I ran the job
> and it still gets the error.
>
> Finally I tried recreating the MNJ; the script finds my cvs, and gets
> through the test connection without trouble.  But I still can't run
> the daily job.
>

> Do you have any idea what might be wrong?
>
> thanks,
> Wendy

Yes actually.  $cvscmd must point at a file and that file must be
executable.  UPDCVS checks this and gives you the message you are
getting when the file is not marked as executable.

e.g.

primate<828>$ ls -laF /usr/bin/cvs
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 611400 May 14  2009 /usr/bin/cvs*

Note the x's for owner, group, and world.