[daip] New Ticket - [!KYK-178822]: aips installation on Mac OS X 10.6

Aina Palau do-not-reply at nrao.edu
Thu Jul 21 11:00:37 EDT 2011

New Ticket: aips installation on Mac OS X 10.6

Dear NRAO staff

I'm trying to install aips (binary installation) on a Mac OS X 10.6 Snowleopard and the main problem is that the TV does not come up. I know this is a typical problem but I tried the different suggestions reported in the NRAO web and I still don't get the TV.

The message when I run aips is the following:

$ aips
START_AIPS: Your initial AIPS printer is the
START_AIPS:  - system name , AIPS type

START_AIPS: User data area assignments:
DADEVS.PL: This program is untested under Perl version 5.010
  (Using global default file /Users/apalau/TOOLS/aips/DA00/DADEVS.LIST for DADEVS.PL)
   Disk 1 (1) is /Users/apalau/TOOLS/aips/DATA/LOCALHOST_1

Tape assignments:
   Tape 1 is REMOTE
   Tape 2 is REMOTE

START_AIPS: I am GUESSING you are at a workstation called localhost
START_AIPS: Starting TV servers on localhost asynchronously
START_AIPS:  - with Internet Sockets...
START_AIPS: Starting TPMON daemons on LOCALHOST asynchronously...
Starting up 31DEC11 AIPS with normal priority
Begin the one true AIPS number 2 (release of 31DEC11) at priority =   0
AIPS 2: You are assigned TV device/server   1
AIPS 2: You are assigned graphics device/server   1
AIPS 2: Enter user ID number
?DADEVS.PL: This program is untested under Perl version 5.010
XASERVERS: TVSERV is already running on host localhost, user apalau
XASERVERS: Start XAS on localhost, DISPLAY /tmp/launch-kc6Duk/org.x:0
XAS: ** TrueColor FOUND!!!
XAS: ***  Using shared memory option for speed ***
XAS: Using screen width 2550 height 1318,
     max grey level 8191 in 16 grey-scale memories
Shared memory id failure: Invalid argument
XASERVERS: TEKSRV is already running on host localhost, display :0, user apalau
XASERVERS: MSGSRV is already running on host localhost, display :0, user apalau

I tried:

1) adding the following lines in my /etc/services file:
sssin           5000/tcp        SSSIN      # AIPS TV server
ssslock         5002/tcp        SSSLOCK    # AIPS TV Lock
msgserv         5008/tcp        MSGSERV    # AIPS Message Server
tekserv         5009/tcp        TEKSERV    # AIPS TekServer
aipsmt0         5010/tcp        AIPSMT0    # AIPS remote FITS disk access

2) export DISPLAY=localhost:0

3) create a file /etc/sysctl.conf with:
kern.sysv.shmmax=16777216
kern.sysv.shmmin=1
kern.sysv.shmmni=32
kern.sysv.shmseg=8
kern.sysv.shmall=4096

Doing these things decreased the number of error messages, but still I have the one about "Shared memory id failure: Invalid argument", and I don't know how to solve it... My screen is 2560x1440 (32-Bit color), but I guess that the shmmax parameter is already big enough (shmmax > 4x2560x1440). Do you think the problem may come from a bad configuration of the sysctl.conf file?

Also I must say that when running the wizard for the installation I forgot to check "on screen 10 that readline points to the /usr/local/gnu/libreadline.a version" and I don't know if this could be the problem. If yes, should I reinstall everything again?

Deeply grateful to you in advance

Best

Aina Palau

Ticket Details