[daip] aips help

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Wed Jul 13 10:53:15 EDT 2011

Cao Hongmin wrote:
> Hi, Eric
>
> thank you for your help,
> Ubuntu 11.04 have several desktops, such as classical desktop, unity
> desktop , etc..
> When i  login  the classical desktop, and type: ~$*aips*, the aips begin
> to work,  but,  this time,  the terminal prompt that ".....*TVSERVER
> told to shut down by XAS* *XAS: Quitting NOW.*"(see the detailed *tips*
> below).
> Neither of the tv window and the tek window appear, but the MSG window.
> so what should i do to let them or the TV window appear?
>
> best regards
>
> hongmin
>

> *START_AIPS: Your initial AIPS printer is the
> START_AIPS:  - system name , AIPS type
>
> START_AIPS: User data area assignments:
> DADEVS.PL: This program is untested under Perl version 5.010
>   (Using global default file /home/chm-novae/aips/DA00/DADEVS.LIST for
> DADEVS.PL)
>    Disk 1 (1) is /home/chm-novae/aips/DATA/LOCALHOST_1
>
> Tape assignments:
>    Tape 1 is REMOTE
>    Tape 2 is REMOTE
>
> START_AIPS: I am GUESSING you are at a workstation called localhost
> START_AIPS: Starting TV servers on localhost asynchronously
> START_AIPS:  - with Internet Sockets...
> START_AIPS: Starting TPMON daemons on LOCALHOST asynchronously...
> Starting up 31DEC11 AIPS with normal priority
> Begin the one true AIPS number 1 (release of 31DEC11) at priority =   0
> AIPS 1: You are assigned TV device/server   1
> AIPS 1: You are assigned graphics device/server   1
> AIPS 1: Enter user ID number
> ?DADEVS.PL: This program is untested under Perl version 5.010
> XASERVERS: Start TV LOCK daemon TVSERV on localhost
> TVSERVER: Starting AIPS TV locking, Inet domain
> XASERVERS: Start XAS on localhost, DISPLAY :0
> XAS: ** TrueColor FOUND!!!
> XAS: ***  Using shared memory option for speed ***
> XAS: Using screen width 1270 height 700,
>      max grey level 8191 in 16 grey-scale memories
> XASERVERS: Start graphics server TEKSRV on localhost, DISPLAY :0
> MakeLink: bind error (INET): Address already in use
> XASERVERS: Start message server MSGSRV on localhost, DISPLAY :0
> TVSERVER told to shut down by XAS
> XAS: Quitting NOW.*

When aips is shut down and then restarted almost immediately, the inet
socket used for XAS will sometimes still show as in use.  It is supposed
to take less than 30 seconds for the system to clear that but I have
seen it take minutes.

TEKSRV still appears to be working - do you know what I mean by an icon
state?

Try two things:

In aips, run TKPL on a pre-existing plot file (or run CNTR on an image
with DOTV false) to make a plot file for TKPL.

Outside aips, do
    ps -elf | grep TEK
to see is TEKSRV is still running.  cd /tmp and do an ls -l | grep[ TEK