[daip] New Ticket - [!ECP-506583]: Found problem with PBCOR subroutine PBCALC

Mark Gurwell do-not-reply at nrao.edu
Tue Jul 12 15:17:49 EDT 2011

New Ticket: Found problem with PBCOR subroutine PBCALC

Hi, I am using AIPS to process SMA data (as I have for years).  However, for the first time I decided to try the task PBCOR to correct for the primary beam in an observation where the beam center was not well centered on a source.  In doing so, I discovered that for the most part it works, in that it calculates corrections properly, when i input parameters I calculate for the SMA primary beam (SMA dishes are 6-m, but operate at high frequencies).

In any event, within PBCALC, I discovered that the parameter RCUT, which is essentially a predetermined maximum radius for calculating the primary beam, uses default values for the VLA no matter what primary beam parameters are entered.  Thus, given that I have data at 335 GHz, the radial cutoff is set at 8.77" or thereabouts, despite the fact that the SMA primary beam HWHM is 17.5"; 8.77" is probably reasonable for a 25-m diameter antenna at 335 GHz, but isn't good enough for my case.

I would like to request that RCUT not be used in the case where the user has input a set of custom beam parameters.  Or, allow for a user entered RCUT.

Please let me know if you have further questions regarding this problem; I can provide as much info as you need.

Thanks,

Mark

PS: I have checked that this problem persists through all releases 31DEC09 through 31DEC11 -m

Ticket Details
Ticket ID: ECP-506583
Department: AIPS Data Processing
Link:  https://help.nrao.edu/staff/index.php?_m=tickets&_a=viewticket&ticketid=956