[daip] FRING on large (25Gb) line dataset problem

Kazi Rygl kazi.rygl at ifsi-roma.inaf.it
Thu Jan 27 10:13:35 EST 2011

Dear Mark Greisen,

I encountered a problem with FRING when I run it on a large (25Gb) VLBI line
dataset.
On smaller datasets it works fine. Also the problem is only there with the
TST version, not in the NEW version. I tried decreasing the solint parameter
but it didn't help (see suggestions of AIPS output below).
Setmaxap says:
>setmaxap(0)
AIPS 2: SETMAXAP: current max dynamic AP is   528.000 Mbytes
AIPS 2: SETMAXAP: allowed range is  20 to  1536 Mbytes

Since I'm not sure why FRING crashes (local problems, or due to something in
the program) I thought I just report it. Last week I could run FRING with
similar inputs without any problems.
I paste the output of AIPS below together with my inputs.

Best regards,
 Kazi

FRING2: Task FRING  (release of 31DEC11) begins
AIPS 2: Resumes
>FRING2: Set integration time to  1.000000 seconds, hope that is ok
FRING2: UVGET: Using flag table version   1 to edit data
FRING2: Selecting, editing and calibrating the data
FRING2: Dividing data by source flux densities
FRING2: Determining solutions
FRING2: Writing SN table    3
FRING2: Time=   0/ 20 58 30, Polarization = 1
FRING2: QINIT: did a GET  of    135168 Kwords, OFF       -328032033
FRING2: DID NOT GET WHAT I NEED FOR MEMORY
FRING2: USE SETMAXAP TO RAISE THE LIMIT, OR
FRING2: FRNALL: DYNAMIC MEMORY AP FAILS
FRING2: FRNALL: MEMORY TOO SMALL FOR SPECIFIED FFT SEARCH
FRING2: REDUCE DELAY AND/OR RATE WINDOW OR AVERAGE IN
FRING2: FREQUENCY OR USE A SHORTER SOLINT
FRING2: Purports to die of UNNATURAL causes
FRING2: mcn3 31DEC11 TST: Cpu=     18.9  Real=     35  IO=     24974

task 'fring'
inclass 'linec'
anten 0
 timera    0 20 57 01 0 20 59 59