[daip] [Fwd: [Helpdesk #4179] AIPS]

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Mon Jan 24 23:26:31 EST 2011

On 1/24/2011 7:41 PM, Wolfgang Baudler wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Any idea what the problem with AIPS could be that Kevin describes below?
> Have there been any recent updates?
>
> Wolfgang

> Subject: [Helpdesk #4179] AIPS
> From:    "Kevin Blagrave"<blagrave at cita.utoronto.ca>
> Date:    Mon, January 24, 2011 17:02
> To:      req-dist at gb.nrao.edu
>
>> From: Kevin Blagrave<blagrave at cita.utoronto.ca>
>> Subject: AIPS
>> To: helpdesk-gb at nrao.edu
> Hi --
> Again, there are some problems with AIPS that seem to have appeared since
> Friday.  I can't diagnose the problem on my end.  It seems I am unable to
> load UVFITS files into AIPS.
>
> The only message I get when I try to run uvlod is:
> UVLOD1: Task UVLOD   (release of 31DEC11) begins
>
> It seems UVLOD1 continues to run (I waited an hour once today) without
> actually copying the UV data to disk.  A file appears in /DATA/BRATAC_1 or
> /DATA/THALES_1 (depending on which outdisk I choose -- from thales) for
> user 0B0.   Running a ps from the prompt, the UVLOD1 routine continues to
> run, even when I exit AIPS.  I have to kill it.
>
> I have attached the uvlod input file I use.  As far as I can tell, these
> are the parameters that we have always used (and were working as of
> Friday).
>
> Thanks,
> Kevin
>
> AIPS 1: UVLOD:  Task which copies Export or FITS tape UV data to disk
> AIPS 1: Adverbs     Values                 Comments
> AIPS 1: ----------------------------------------------------------------
> AIPS 1: DOALL        -1>  0 =>  all sources in file
> AIPS 1: OBJECT     ' '                     Source name (blank =>  any)
> AIPS 1: QUAL         -1                    Source qualifier (-1 =>  any)
> AIPS 1: BAND       ' '                     Frequency band ('L','C',...)
> AIPS 1:                                       blank =>  any
> AIPS 1: BCOUNT        1                    Sequential source number to
> AIPS 1:                                    begin the loading
> AIPS 1: NCOUNT        0                    Number of sources to check
> AIPS 1:                                    and perhaps load. 0 means 10.
> AIPS 1: INTAPE        1                    Tape drive # (0 =>  1)
> AIPS 1: NFILES        0                    # of files to advance on tape
> AIPS 1: DATAIN     '/home/scratch/pgmartin/raw/XFLS:FLS_14915-14975.uvfits
> Disk file name (FITS ONLY)
> AIPS 1: DOUVCOMP     -1>=0 =>  compressed data (FITS)
> AIPS 1: DOCONCAT     -1>  0 =>  concatenate all UV
> AIPS 1:                                    data selected in one file.
> AIPS 1: OUTNAME    ' '                     Output UV file name (name)
> AIPS 1:                                      blank =>  OBJECT
> AIPS 1: ** press RETURN for more, enter Q or next line to quit print **
> #
> AIPS 1: OUTCLASS   ' '                     Output UV file name (class)
> [...]
The DATAIN value is more than 48 characters (I am surprised it all
shows).  Furthermore it is in a bad form.  It should be
     logical:name
where logical is an environment variable known to AIPS when it starts
up.  This form seems to be disk+path/logical:name which surely should
fool any AIPS task.

ERic Greisen