[daip] Quick AIPS installation question

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Thu Jan 20 17:15:32 EST 2011

Sarah Tuttle wrote:
> Hi,
> I just installed the DEC10 version on my desktop (running mac os X).
> I'm having trouble getting the tv display to appear.  I tried changing
> my .bashrc to include "export DISPLAY=localhost:0", but that didn't
> spawn a new window, and actually stopped the appearance of the other two
> windows (tekserver and message window) that had been working.  We tried
> a few variants but didn't have any luck.  Any help would be appreciated,
> thanks.

First - get rid of any setting of DISPLAY.  That used to be required for
Macs and now destroys them with the method that Snow Leopard uses to
invoke X Windows applications.  Then try again and send me all the
messages that AIPS puts out.  I will bet in advance that it complains
about shared memory.  The the AIPS Manager FAQ for the cure for that:
       http://www.aips.nrao.edu/aipsmgr/index.html

ERic Greisen