[daip] FRING problem in NEW and TST

Walter Alef alef at mpifr-bonn.mpg.de
Wed Jan 19 12:15:49 EST 2011

Hi Eric,

This is getting more mysterious. When I switched back to TST and NEW this
morning the problem could not be repeated anymore! On our cluster where we
only have 31DEC10 and 31DE09 the problem is still repeatable.

One thing I noticed is that when I changed the version to OLD, IN2NAME was
claimed to have an illegal character in it. (It does not do that now anymore
when I change versions.) But if a bad character was in IN2NAME why did TST
and NEW not complain about it?
I had the same on the cluster AIPS installation. Another one I saw there was
an IN2CLASS which needed to be reset to ''. On the cluster we have an illegal
content of a variable occasionally even though we don't change the AIPS
version between sessions. I don't know whether this has any relation to the
problem.

I could send you another file with 6 SN tables from different runs of FRING,
some of which show good results and some the wrong ones I described. Don't
know whether that would be on any help as long as the problem cannot be
provoked in a reliable way. I also have the message file which shows large
discrepancies between FFT search results and LSQ results for some IFs.

--

	Best regards,
			Walter