[daip] Possible POSSM bug

Walter Brisken wbrisken at nrao.edu
Tue Jan 18 12:21:34 EST 2011

Hi DAIP,

Craig and I stumbled upon a likely bug in POSSM last week.  We were
plotting some VLBA data taken in 8 contiguous 32 MHz sub-bands produced
by the new digital equipment.  SPFLG suggested that the phases matched
perfectly at the sub-band edges, as one would expect.  In POSSM, phase
jumps at each sub-band boundary were seen.

It turns out that the parameter SHIFT was unintentionally set to 0,1.
Changing it to 0,0 produced the results we expected.  Craig correctly
later stated that the shift's effect on phase should not care about the
location of the sub-band edges.  I further tested this and for small
shifts (SHIFT=0,0.01) do see continuous phase as a function of frequency.
I suspect either there is an error in the handling of delay or there is
some numerical precision issue.

Test data can be found on parallax, user id 2179, disk 4, catalog number
81 (TD010.DIFX.6).