[daip] VLANT

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Wed Jan 5 16:25:52 EST 2011

Deidre Hunter wrote:
> Hi, Eric. Unfortunately, the LITTLE THINGS team agreed to use 31DEC08 as
> our standard for reducing all of the LT data. Using 31Dec10 would be a
> problem.
>
> Deidre
>

> On Jan 5, 2011, at 1:46 PM, Eric Greisen wrote:
>
>> Hong-Xin Zhang wrote:
>>> Dear Eric,
>>>    I am a pre-doc of Deidre Hunter, and I encountered a problem with
>>> VLANT when I calibrate a C-array data (HI-line in L band) obtained on
>>> 2008 May 31. The message returned from AIPS is as follows:
>>> KAME  > VLANT1: Task VLANT  (release of 31DEC08) begins
>>> KAME  > VLANT1: TFETCH: curl OF DATA FILE FAILED AFTER curl
>>> KAME  > VLANT1: Trying wget instead
>>> KAME  > VLANT1: TFETCH: wget OF DATA FILE FAILED
>>> KAME  > VLANT1: ERROR    2 OPENING FILE FOR YEAR 2011
>>> KAME  > VLANT1: Purports to die of UNNATURAL causes
>>> The same message was returned no matter whether I run VLANT on the
>>> LINCOP data or the LINE data read by FILLM. Could you tell me how to
>>> cope with this problem?
>>
>> I cannot generate fixes for old versions of AIPS - 31DEC10 is now the
>> frozen release, 2 years more recent than the one you are using.  I
>> recommend installing 31DEC10 (or 31DEC11).  VLANT now understands that
>> the VLA terminated in 2010 and will not try to read beyond that date.
>> But your old version did not have the foresight to know this.
>>
>> Eric Greisen

Let me suggest the following - install 31DEC10 leaving your 31DEC08
version in place.  After the installation, edit the $AIPS_ROOT files
named AIPSPATH.SH and AIPSPATH.CSH so that TST, NEW, OLD point at
31DEC08 but CVX points at 31DEC10.  I believe that will be moderately
benign when run between the versions - e.g. set VERSION='CVX'; go vlant
and things should be okay.  The one worry I have is that there will be a
format change to the AN file which the older tasks may not like.  With
VLA data the format change should be benign (not so for VLBI data).  You
can work around this with TASAV and then TACOP if necessary.