[daip] Just to let you know...

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Thu Feb 17 10:46:04 EST 2011

Michele Pestalozzi wrote:
> Eric,
>
> I managed at last to make AIPS work on my MacBook Pro (snow leopard)...
> The issue was a not large enough shared memory. I am using  24inch
> screen and the number reported in the FAQ page for AIPS managers was not
> large enough... I had to adopt the example for the 30-inch screen and
> Voila'! TV appeared.
> So, the /etc/sysctl.conf file has to contain a number for shmmax that is
> a multiple of shmall and corresponds to a screen that is larger than
> what comes out at AIPS startup (4 times x time y, as suggested).
>
> In my case I had 3190 times 958, i.e. 12224080. This number though is
> not a multiple of 4096... so I adopted 16777216 and the entire thing
> works now.
>
> Maybe this could be a warning to be put on that page: check the output
> screen size that AIPS tells you at startup, calculate 4 * x * y and
> "approximate" that number to the closest multiple of 4096 (or shmall).
> Om the safe side, if you have a really large screen (up to 30-inch) then
> adopt the number for the 30-inch screen.
>
> Thank you for your support.

Thanks - i added the following paragraph:
          set a value that might be larger than necessary for your
          system.  The shmmax must be an integer multiple of the shmall
          which must be a power of 2 >= 1024.  A 3190 by 958 screen was
          found to require the larger value above.  I think this comes
          by n times (4096 / 4 bytes/word) has to be > 3190 leading to
          4096 words per row.  Then 958 * 4096 * 4 bytes = 15695872 or
          just a bit less than the 16777216.</p>

The problem opening things to localhost:0.0 would not be caused by this
however.

If the localhost thing remains an issue, try tv=local on the command line.

ERic Greisen