[daip] UVCON with IN2NAME .NE. BLANK

Leonia Kogan lkogan at nrao.edu
Sat Feb 12 12:38:58 EST 2011

Subhashis,

I showed you, in my previous messages, that UVCON works including
multiplication the source model given by IN2NAME with given clean
components and ...

You ask me to  run UVCON with your model. I am afraid it will involve me
in investigation of your model :( Additionally I am not so good in
zip/unzip. Instead I want to show the apparent way how I created the
model with clean components:

1. Run UVCON with bparm=-1,0  aparm =0.33 0 40, -1, 1 17.5 15 30 0 (this
your aparm with only one difference; 2 hours observation instead of 5)
in2name =' ', smodel =1 0 DO3DIMAG = 0

2. Run IMAGR using the UVCON output UV data as input;
    CELLSIZE 6 6    imsize 1024 1024 NFIELD =1  gain 0.1
    NITER=200(or less) UVWTFN 'NA'
    I used these parameters. You are better off to use the same ones for

    simplicity of the comparison

3. The output of IMAGR is the image with CLEAN components which can be
    used as IN2NAME in UVCON
    Use the AIPS task CCMOD to modify the CC table as you want:
    specifically to create 3 components (1 flux unit each
    at 0, -1800, -2700)
    Use the AIPS task PRTCC to check the effect of CCMOD

4. Now you can run UVCON using the IN2NAME (output of IMAGR:
    item3) with modified CC table, the relevant BCOMP, NCOMP

I ran UVCON => IMAGR  using the same model IN2NAME the same BCOMP, NCOMP
with the same APARMs, but different BCOMP:

1) BCOMP=-1 0 0 0 0 1 =>no random pointing error; model is multiplied by
    the dish beam with flat illumination
    I GOT THE RIGHT IMAGE AFTER IMAGR: three components at the right
    positions; the most low component is redused by the primary beam
    up to 30%

2) BCOMP=-1 0 0 0 5 1 10 => small random pointing error; model is
    multiplied by the dish beam with flat illumination
    I GOT THE RIGHT IMAGE AFTER IMAGR: three components at the right
    positions; the most low component is reduced by the primary beam
    up to 30%. Negligible distortion of the image.

3) BCOMP=-1 0 1 0 30 1 10 => visible random pointing error; model is
    multiplied by the dish beam with flat illumination
    I GOT THE distorted IMAGE AFTER IMAGR (some noise,
    three components at the right positions; the amplitude of the
    3 components are wrong

So this test confirms that UVCON provides a reasonable result!!!!!

I'd like you to reproduce the described tests, hoping toget absolutely
the same outputs.

LK