[daip] AIPS help

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Thu Feb 10 12:15:15 EST 2011

Bruce Partridge wrote:
> Eric, yesterday I left a rather incoherent message on your phone
> regarding an AIPS problem I encountered.
>
> Here's the story in more detail.  I was looking at some old data
> (obtained in November 2009, with a mix of VLA and EVLA antennae).  I
> tried to run VLANT, which has always worked for me before.  It failed
> because TFETCH of the 2011 data file failed.  It then tried curl instead
> -- that also failed.  As a consequence, VLANT died, and I did not get
> the new, updated CL table that I expected.
>
> I look at a couple of calibrators, and the fluxes seem OK, so the
> failure of VLANT may not matter, but I remain concerned since the array
> was about 1/2 EVLA equipped and 1/2 not when I made these runs.
>
> Advice (other than "reduce your data sooner")?  Many thanks, Bruce

My phone does not signal me about messages any more so there tends to be
rather a delay and e-mail often works better.

You are running an old version of VLANT that did not know that the VLA
was being turned off in January 2010.  Therefore it tries to read up to
2011 files.

My recommendation would be to install 31DEC10 or 31DEC11 AIPS.  But
maybe I should also put in a dummy data file in the AIPS distribution.
The trouble is, no one with the really old (e.g.31DEC08) versions will
run a MNJ to update their system.  But I probably can solve that too.

Sigh...