[daip] FW: Some data reduction challenges

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Thu Dec 22 12:17:39 EST 2011

Dougherty, Sean wrote:
> Eric,
>
> I reduced some data recently at the DSOC using AIPS. Below are a few comments/questions I have about using the Appendix E of the AIPS manual to calibrate the data. I attempted to not resort to asking any in-house experts, though Rick did suggest the use of POSSM to look at band passes - which was a *very* helpful tip.
>
> I sent these to Gustaaf originally, but he advised I send the AIPS-specific ones to you directly.
>
> All the best,
>
> Sean

Thanks - I will consider these.

Note DOCAL> 0 and < 100 now calibrates weights if there are meaningful
weights.  EVLA weights are not calibrated unless a specific keyword
appears in the header.  That keyword is added by TYAPL and REWAY.

POSSM is mentioned widely in the Appendix but not in conjunction with BP
tables - good suggestion.

The ICHANSEL "must" has to do with normalizing the same way.  If it is
very different from one to the other one may end up with things not
scaled properly.

If you encountered a case with SY values missing we should be told about
that (Michael and other testers).  The SY table portion requires
examination of the values - TYSMO, SNEDT etc.  If you have very strong
sources it will do the wrong thing at present (a non-linearity we do not
understand).  But the SY values once the SY table is clean do not reuire
great expertise.  I will look at extending the wording some however.

Thanks