[daip] UVSUB: Subtracting all the Stokes contributed by point sources from the UV data

Wasim Raja wasimraja81 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 17 16:42:46 EDT 2011

Hi Eric
  It dawned upon me a little late that your reference to "binary"
  was associated with the UVSUB-ed file. I was assuming you
  meant a fresh "binary" AIPS installation.

  The data I am working on is at my location in the machine I
  am using AIPS on. Hence no "ftp" related issue here. I guess
  I confused you by my usage of "FITTP-ed". I used it to indicate
  that I had used task FITTP to take out the UVSUB-ed data
  from AIPS.

  PS: The UVDIF did not reveal any "difference" in the original
         and the UVSUB-ed data.
         Moreover, the same exercise was performed using a 31DEC09
         AIPS, and the output UVSUB (output using FITTP) file could
         be opened by MIRIAD without error.

         The exercise I am talking about is:

          AIPS:
            -->CALIB_UVDATA
                  -->RUN AIPS UVSUB [In2name = point source]
                         -->Output = Pt Source subtracted UVSUB DATA
                                --> RUN AIPS IMAGR [to image the UVSUB DATA
above]
                                      --> Output = image of the background
(pt. source removed)
                                           --> RUN AIPS UVSUB [in2name =
image of background

obtained from above step]
                                                  --> Output = UVDATA for
the Point Source
                                                       --> RUN AIPS FITTP to
disk

         MIRIAD:
            -->RUN MIRIAD FITS [ with input file = the UVSUB data
                                                    that was written to disk
using FITTP]
                      --> ERROR about "illegal basline number"

  regards
--wasim

--
Research Fellow (A&A)