[daip] AIPS question

Assaf Horesh assafh at astro.caltech.edu
Wed Apr 20 14:59:00 EDT 2011

HI ,

I recently installed AIPS on my macbook pro.
It works just fine but when working with EVLA data that consist of 16IFs (Large bandwidth, fits file of 50Gb) it is very slow.
I was wondering if there is some AIPS parameters that I can tweak in order to make it work faster.
For example I noticed that when I run the TVFLG on my data it takes about 30 minutes to load up and mainly what is working is the hard drive (its reading/writing at 50Mbs rate) while the memory that is used by AIPS at that time is about 2.1 MB. Is there a way to make AIPS to use more memory to speed it up? is there any other tweaking I can do?

Cheers,

Assaf