[daip] error message during installation of aips on macosx 10.6 64bit mode

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Tue Sep 14 11:09:06 EDT 2010

Shinnaga Hiroko wrote:
> Dear  Eric Greisen,
>
>   I'm Hiroko Shinnaga, an aips user.  I have a question regarding
> the installation of aips on my mac laptop with os x 10.6 with 64 bit mode.
> I'm following the instruction on the web page at
> http://www.aips.nrao.edu/Mac.shtml
> I encountered following error message when I issued the command
> "gnumake bootstrap" .

> /var/folders/kM/kMWIetSlFUKCi+mLRsGnfk+++TI/-Tmp-//ccaasEmO.s:274:Unknown pseudo-op: .non_lazy_symbol_pointer
> /var/folders/kM/kMWIetSlFUKCi+mLRsGnfk+++TI/-Tmp-//ccaasEmO.s:276:Unknown pseudo-op: .indirect_symbol
> /var/folders/kM/kMWIetSlFUKCi+mLRsGnfk+++TI/-Tmp-//ccaasEmO.s:276:Rest of line ignored. 1st junk character valu
> ed 95 (_).
> gnumake[2]: *** [crt2.o] Error 1
> gnumake[1]: *** [stage1_build] Error 2
> gnumake: *** [bootstrap] Error 2
>
> How can I fix this problem?

I take it that you are compiling the code for yourself.  Do you intend
to write and compile your own AIPS code?  What compiler are you using
including what version?

I have just built 31DEC10 AIPS on a Mac 10.6 with Intel 11.1 and it did
not have this problem.

Note that the binary release of AIPS outperforms compilations done by
the GNU compiler.  If you are not developing your own Fortran code for
AIPS, I would recommend the binary release.