[daip] Mac aips

Lawrence Rudnick larry at astro.umn.edu
Sat Nov 20 07:49:02 EST 2010

Hi Eric -

Just got a Mac for first time in 20 years and am installing AIPS.  Went
pretty smoothly.  Several problems that perhaps you can help out with.
The only show stopper is number 2.

1. I didn't have a .profile set up, so I went to root area, ran
LOGIN.SH, but somehow "aips" isn't defined ( I don't remember where
that's supposed to get defined).  So I simply executed the command below
and started up fine.

2. TV is a problem, see error message below.  I'm running an external
display and laptop display (mirrored).

3. TPMON had problems. I have no tape drives. All I want is ability to
read/write FITS area. That is working fine, so I could just ignore the
TPMON messages.
  I did not edit the /etc/services file because I was going to be using
local.  At the bottom, I list the default (current) /etc/services
entries in the

thanks!  Larry

bash-3.2$ ./START_AIPS tv=local:0
START_AIPS: Will start a new Unix Socket based TV
START_AIPS: Your initial AIPS printer is the
START_AIPS:  - system name , AIPS type

START_AIPS: User data area assignments:
DADEVS.PL: This program is untested under Perl version 5.010
   (Using global default file /Users/larry/bin/AIPS/DA00/DADEVS.LIST for
DADEVS.PL)
    Disk 1 (1) is /Users/larry/bin/AIPS/DATA/MACHER_1

Tape assignments:
    Tape 1 is REMOTE
    Tape 2 is REMOTE

START_AIPS: Starting TV servers on macher asynchronously
START_AIPS:  - WITH Unix Sockets (new instance) as requested...
START_AIPS: Starting TPMON daemons on MACHER asynchronously...
Starting up 31DEC10 AIPS with normal priority
Begin the one true AIPS number 1 (release of 31DEC10) at priority =   0
AIPS 1: You are not on a local TV device, welcome stranger
AIPS 1: You are assigned TV device/server   3
AIPS 1: You are assigned graphics device/server   3
AIPS 1: Enter user ID number
?DADEVS.PL: This program is untested under Perl version 5.010
UNIXSERVERS: Start TV LOCK daemon TVSRV2 on macher
Trying to make hard link in /Users/larry/bin/AIPS/31DEC10/MACINT/LOAD to
TVSERV.EXE
TVSERVER: Starting AIPS TV locking, Unix (local) domain
UNIXSERVERS: Start XAS2 on macher, DISPLAY /tmp/launch-vnPHaW/org.x:0
Trying to make hard link XAS2 to XAS ...
XAS: ** TrueColor FOUND!!!
XAS: ***  Using shared memory option for speed ***
XAS: Using screen width 1670 height 928,
      max grey level 8191 in 16 grey-scale memories
Shared memory id failure: Invalid argument
UNIXSERVERS: Start graphics server TKSRV2 on macher, display
/tmp/launch-vnPHaW/org.x:0
Trying to make hard link TKSRV2 to TEKSRV.EXE ...
UNIXSERVERS: Start message server MSSRV2 on macher, display
/tmp/launch-vnPHaW/org.x:0
Trying to make hard link MSSRV2 to MSGSRV.EXE ...
STARTPMON: [MACHER] Starting TPMON1 with output SUPPRESSED
ZVTPO3: tcp/aipsmt0 is not a service
ZVTPO3: check /etc/services or NIS map!
?

==========
/etc/services file in AIPS range
#               5000        Unassigned
commplex-main   5000/udp #
commplex-main   5000/tcp #
commplex-link   5001/udp #
commplex-link   5001/tcp #
rfe             5002/udp    # radio free ethernet
rfe             5002/tcp    # radio free ethernet
fmpro-internal  5003/udp    # FileMaker, Inc. - Proprietary name binding
fmpro-internal  5003/tcp    # FileMaker, Inc. - Proprietary transport
#                          Clay Maeckel <clay_maeckel at filemaker.com>
avt-profile-1   5004/udp    # avt-profile-1
avt-profile-1   5004/tcp    # avt-profile-1
avt-profile-2   5005/udp    # avt-profile-2
avt-profile-2   5005/tcp    # avt-profile-2
#                          Henning Schulzrinne <schulzrinne at fokus.gmd.de>
wsm-server      5006/udp    # wsm server
wsm-server      5006/tcp    # wsm server
wsm-server-ssl  5007/udp    # wsm server ssl
wsm-server-ssl  5007/tcp    # wsm server ssl
#                          Adam Berk <aberk at empirix.com>
synapsis-edge   5008/udp    # Synapsis EDGE
synapsis-edge   5008/tcp    # Synapsis EDGE
#                          Paul Schilling <PaulS at Synapsis.com>
winfs           5009/tcp    # Microsoft Windows Filesystem
winfs           5009/udp    # Microsoft Windows Filesystem
#               5010        Unassigned
telelpathstart  5010/udp    # TelepathStart
telelpathstart  5010/tcp    # TelepathStart
telelpathattack 5011/udp    # TelepathAttack
telelpathattack 5011/tcp    # TelepathAttack
#                          Helmuth Breitenfellner <hbreitenf at vnet.imb.com>
#               5012-5019  Unassigned