[daip] reading wmap in aips

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Tue May 25 10:29:22 EDT 2010

Farhad Zadeh wrote:
> Hi Eric,
> I am now trying to load the 7-yr WMAP maps and I am having the
> block size difficulty.
>
> ownes> IMLOD1: Reading from disk file:
> PWD:wmap_band_iqumap_r9_7yr_W_v4.fits
> townes> IMLOD1: Create IMLOD       .TEMP  .   1 (MA)  on disk  5  cno    1
> townes> IMLOD1: TAPIO: RECORD LENGTH   1475 INCONSISTENT WITH BLOCK SIZE
> 2880
> townes> IMLOD1: Destroyed  1 extension files of type UK
> townes> IMLOD1: Destroyed  1 extension files of type HI
> townes> IMLOD1: Destroyed MA image file: catno=      1 disk= 5
> townes> IMLOD1: Purports to die of UNNATURAL causes
> townes> IMLOD1: townes 31DEC09 TST: Cpu=      0.1  Real=      1
> IO=         2

Look at your file on disk with ls -l and try dividing its length by
2880.  It should be an integer and the above message suggests that it is
not.  How it got tnhat way is of course unclear - one way would be an
ftp where the word "binary" was not issued.  Some ftps will insert
line-feed characters whenever they see and carriage-return character
assuming that the whole file is characters which it is not.  This makes
the file grow in size.  Alternatively, some copy failed or the FITS
writer is defective.

Eric