[daip] AIPS frustration-related issue

Glen Langston glangsto at nrao.edu
Sun May 9 17:18:35 EDT 2010

Hi Eric,

Thanks for the suggestion.

Unfortunately we've been using a very small
number for reweight, (1e-12), because of a
problem of some single dish fits files
have very high weights (that are re-oobserved)
while other edges of the map may only get
a short obs.   With reweight closer to 1,
the short duration obs disappear, causing
the observer confusion.

Also there is something up with the
sync/bessel function as the interpolation
should always be between the interpolated
values.  It does not seem to be the
data, as the other weighting functions do
not cause this problem.   We do want to
prefer the sync/bessel function as
it yields the best angular resolution, but
it seems (to me) that its likely there
is some numerical error in the sync/bessel
interpolation code.  Perhaps extreme weights could
be discarded in the convolution function(?)

Thanks for your help.

Glen