[daip] adding to AIPS after a binary install

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Thu May 6 12:38:58 EDT 2010

Gary, Dale wrote:
> I installed the binary Linux 31DEC10 version of AIPS, and would now like to add a task provided by Tim Bastian.  However, the standard procedure (running COMLNK) is looking in the wrong place for the compiler.  First, is it possible to add to a binary installation?  Assuming it is possible, I suspect the problem is that the fortran compiler is some default compiler due to a setting somewhere in a shell file.  I looked through the install.pl script and find that the compiler options are skipped for a binary installation.  Can you tell me the easiest way to change the default compiler setting so that COMLNK will find it?

This is the problem with a binary installation - local compilation
is inhibited unless you have the same version of the Intel compiler
(very much not free) that we use.  Tim will have to provide you with a
binary or, if the task is of general interest, submit it to the AIPS
group for inclusion with the distribution.  You can update the binary
installation with the MNJ but that also does not include local compilation.