[daip] Task CVEL of 31DEC10

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Tue Mar 30 10:11:50 EDT 2010

qqlllj wrote:
> Dear sirs or madams,
>      I'm using 31DEC10 for VLBA data reduction, and I have difficulty in
> using task CVEL. The results are quite different from those generated by
> 31DEC09. My classmate told me that Cvel had been found to have a bug.
> Could you tell me how to fix it? Thanks in advance!

So far as I know there are no bugs in CVEL so long as you have the 31DEC10
updated to at least March 2.   However, the serious bug there was one of
long standing and present in 31DEC09.  The other bug fixed March 1 was
one that could cause CVEL to go into an infinite loop and never finish
which does not match what you write above.  Unfortunately, what you have
written above says absolutely nothing except that you suspect there to
be an error of some sort.

CVEL was changed a great deal in late September 2009 in 31DEC09.  If you
have a fully modern 31DEC09, then it differs from the 31DEC10 version
only by the spelling in one comment.  To what date was your 31DEC09
version current?  Note that prior to the Sept 2009 change, the antenna
file for VLBA was different.  Once 31DEC10 has seen your antenna file,
then you cannot use out-of-date 31DEC09 on it without an error.  Look at
the AN file on your data set with PRTAB - if it has the keyword XYZHAND
(= 'RIGHT') then it is a modern antenna file and would confuse 31DEC08
or code from 31DEC09 that was not brought up to date.

If you still believe that CVEL is doing something wrong, I will need a
great deal more information in order to look at the issue.

Note two things:
1. aips22 addresses are for a separate software package, not AIPSS

2. See attached note.