[daip] AIPS installation fails with a fatal error because it can't find my disk

andrejfavia at ml1.net andrejfavia at ml1.net
Fri Jun 18 18:09:35 EDT 2010

Greetings, this is Andrej Favia, current graduate UMaine astrophysics
student.
I need to operate AIPS on my MacBook: 2.1 GHz, 2.25 GB RAM, Mac OS X
10.5.8.

I have read the directions at http://www.aips.nrao.edu/dec10.shtml and
the installation directions http://www.aips.nrao.edu/install.shtml -
this is a binary installation run off install.pl

I get to a point in the installation where MAKE.BNMJ seems to work, then
AipsWiz comes up: "MAKE.BNMJ seemed to work
(/Users/andrej/AIPS/31DEC10/MACINT/SYSTEM/NRAOCV/UPDCONFIG found).

Then I hit Enter to continue... and unfortunately this is what I get:

====
AipsWiz:  =====> Generate system files via FILAIP/POPSGN...
AipsWiz: This will generate some output, including a copyright (left)
AipsWiz: statement and some prompts, but should end with a 'Done!' if
AipsWiz: everything worked...

AipsWiz: About to run FILAIP.  If this is a re-installation, you
AipsWiz: will be prompted for an AIPS Manager password.  The
AipsWiz: default password is AMANAGER

Data disk assignments:
  (Using global default file /Users/andrej/AIPS/DA00/DADEVS.LIST for
  DADEVS.PL)
DADEVS.PL error - no disks selected at all
This is a FATAL error and nothing in AIPS will work.

HELP!  No Defined data areas!  You can proceed now to run
program FILAIP, but you may see LOTS of complaints about
not being able to access the message file.  If you think
there should have been some data areas defined, please
check DADEVS.LIST or .dadevs files, or AIPSASSN.\*
If you want to proceed, enter YES (uppercase) now:
AipsWiz: Error: FILAIP did not work, or there's a missing file!
AipsWiz: Error: This may mean that FILAIP did not work (it should have
AipsWiz: Error: created it and many other files in that area).
AipsWiz: Error: You can try running it by hand after (a) dotting the
AipsWiz: Error: LOGIN.SH file or sourcing the LOGIN.CSH file; and
AipsWiz: Error: (b) Typing 'RUN FILAIP'.  You will then be asked for
AipsWiz: Error: two parameters.  Use
8 2

AipsWiz: Error: as the standard values.
AipsWiz: Error: You will also have to RUN POPSGN if that works;

AipsWiz: Error: Feed it

0 POPSDAT TST

AipsWiz: Error: when it asks for Idebug, etc. and press RETURN when
AipsWiz: Error: you see the '>' prompt.

AipsWiz: Install Wizard stopping.  Current settings saved in ~/.AIPSRC
AipsWiz: Abandoning ship!  Goodbye.
andrej-favias-imac-g5-2:AIPS andrej$

====

Alright...
So
The directions told me to check various files before continuing past
this step. But I know so little about AIPS that I have no idea what to
check and how to check it.

I was directed to check the file located at $AIPS_PATH/DA00/DADEVS.LIST
, and I found an Internet email address, so hence I am using this
address to ask for support.

I couldn't find any "official forums" online, just a mailing list, nor
could I find anyone else online who had reported this problem.

So, why is this happening?
Andrej