[daip] New Ticket - [!FHX-942014]: AIPS installation on Snow Leopard

Ylva Pihlstrom do-not-reply at nrao.edu
Wed Jun 16 13:52:40 EDT 2010

New Ticket: AIPS installation on Snow Leopard

Hi,

I am trying to install 31DEC10 version of AIPS for a visitor, she has Max OS X 10.6.2 Snow Leopard, and X11 (Xquartz) 2.3.5 (we upgraded from 2.3.4 to see if there would be any changes after installation). We did create a sysctl.conf file (according to the AIPS install page), and it seems as if changes have been applied after a reboot. The MSG server and TEK server works fine, but the TV server still does not start. It gives the error 'Shared memory ID failure', despite the fixes we did.

We also tried setting the DISPLAY environment, as well as leaving it to the system default. If we start aips in an X11 window (instead of in a Terminal window) the following message is given:

?STARTPMON: [LOCALHOST] Starting TPMON1 with output SUPPRESSED
XAS: ***********************************
XAS: **  No TrueColor found
XAS: **  Resorting to PseudoColor
XAS: ***********************************
XAS: ***  Using shared memory option for speed ***
XAS: Using screen width 1270 height 678,
   max grey level 196 in 16 grey-scale memories
X Error of failed request:  BadAccess (attempt to access private resource denied)
Major opcode of failed request:  132 (MIT-SHM)
Minor opcode of failed request:  1 (X_ShmAttach)
Serial number of failed request:  33

which seems to be an X11 issue. Do you have any ideas of what is going wrong here?

Thanks,
 Ylva

Ticket Details
Ticket ID: FHX-942014