[daip] BLANK - excluding single-channel peaks

Linda Watson watson at astronomy.ohio-state.edu
Sun Jun 6 15:53:57 EDT 2010

Dear AIPS Help Desk,

I'm using the AIPS task BLANK to blank an HI data cube. I'm using the
method where you blank a convolved version of your cube to exclude flux <
2-3*noise and then use that convolved cube as a filter to blank your
original image (using OPCODE 'SELC' and then 'IN2C').  I would also like
to exclude single-channel flux peaks.  Is there a way to only keep pixels
with signal that is above a set level in a specified number of consecutive
channels?

It seems like using one of the other OPCODE settings should be the way to
go, but my attempts have not been successful.  I've mostly been trying to
work with OPCODE 'FLTW' but it has become very clear that I don't
understand what AIPS actually blanks when I give it a window size.

I would appreciate any help!

Many thanks,
Linda