[daip] CLIP and FLGIT ?

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Wed Jul 14 17:28:16 EDT 2010

Nissim Kanekar wrote:

> Had a couple of suggestions about tasks CLIP and FLGIT in AIPS and
> thought I should pass them on. The feature in CLIP that allows all
> channels to be flagged if the values in some are above some threshold
> [APARM (7) and (9)] is really nice for spectral line work (as it means
> that there's no channel-dependent flagging, so the noise is constant
> across the band). Of course, one would like to apply such a threshold to
> the central parts of the band and then use it to flag all channels.
> Right now, the only control over the channel range is with BCHAN and
> ECHAN, which only select the group of channels to be worked with (i.e.
> the flags are only applied to this group of channels). It would be great
> to have an ICHANSEL adverb in CLIP to allow selection of a range of
> channels for the application of the above threshold.
>
> FLGIT is very nice as well, and does have the possibility of selection
> with ICHANSEL; however,  it doesn't have the feature allowing all
> channels to be flagged if the values in some are above some threshold
> [APARM (7) and (9) in CLIP]. Could this be added ?

CLIP examines BCHAN through ECHAN but flags every channel when too many
channels in the BCHAN to ECHAN range are flagged already.  I did change
the flag +-n channels option to go outside BCHAN and ECHAN if needed to
get the n channels and not go outside the full spectrum.

I have also changed FLGIT to add options to the flag +- n channels about
a bad channel and to flag all channels if >= m are flagged.  Note that
FLGIT looks at all channels for some operations like APARM(1) - ICHANSEL
selects the channels for the linear fit and the median window.

Tomorrow's MNJ will bring these changes.