[daip] AIPS cannot launch - also the new install.pl script has a syntax error

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Tue Jul 13 11:16:29 EDT 2010

andrejfavia at fastmail.fm wrote:
> Alright I was finally now just able to reproduce the problem.
>
> It seems that AIPS will now work from my apartment, but when I take my
> computer to campus, AIPS will not work.
>
> Here is my information:
>

> echo $SITE
>
> gives me
>
> UNKNOWN
>

> echo $PATH
>
> gives me
>
> /Users/andrej/AIPS/AIPSpackage/31DEC10/UNKNOWN/SYSTEM:/Users/andrej/AIPS/AIPSpackage/31DEC10/SYSTEM/UNIX:/Users/andrej/bin/:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/texbin:/usr/X11/bin:/usr/X11/bin
>

> echo $SYSLOCAL
>
> gives me
>
> /Users/andrej/AIPS/AIPSpackage/31DEC10/UNKNOWN/SYSTEM
>

> ls -laF $SYSLOCAL
>
> gives me
>
> ls: /Users/andrej/AIPS/AIPSpackage/31DEC10/UNKNOWN/SYSTEM: No such file
> or directory
>

> So basically just because I physically took my computer to a different
> place to access the internet, AIPS is broken, because $SITE is unknown.
>
> How can this be fixed so that I can access AIPS on campus and at home?

The problem is that your laptop has changed names between the 2
locations and I suspect gets a different name at different times on
campus.  This is why we created the concept in the installation call
LAPTOP='YES'.  When that is the case, then your computer is called
LOCALHOST so far as AIPS is concerned no matter what uname -a says.

To change over:
1. Edit the LOGIN.SH and LOGIN.CSH scripts in $AIPS_ROOT to set LAPTOP
to yes rather than no.

2. Edit the $AIPS_ROOT/HOSTS.LIST file to change the computer name to
LOCALHOST.

3. Edit the $AIPS_ROOT/DA00/DADEVS.LIST and NETSP files to change the
computer name to LOCALHOST

4. Change the data directory names from ....hostname... to
    ....LOCALHOST.....   (i.e. change /home/AIPS/DATA/PRIMATE_1 to
/home/AIPS/DATA/LOCALHOST_1)

The source LOGIN.CSH or . LOGIN.SH for bash and you should be in
business everywhere.