[daip] [Fwd: Re: CLCOR position shifting]

Craig Walker cwalker at nrao.edu
Wed Jan 27 15:12:13 EST 2010

Mark,

I finally got a chance to look at your data, which I had downloaded.
Clearly something very weird is happening in CLCOR.  The rate of change
of the derived delay abruptly changes in the middle of the scan, and
then takes a step a bit later.  The phases reflect something of the
sort, but the rates do not.  We tried rerunning CLCOR with your
parameters and got something similar.  We then tried with smaller
shifts, near 0.1 arcsecond, and don't see a big problem.

I showed all this to Leonia and gave him a copy of the data set.  He
will try to figure out what is wrong.

Eric and Leonia believe that an arcsecond shift is too big for CLCOR to
do accurately.  It will ultimately be interesting to see just how true
this is and your data set is a good one for such tests.

Note that one problem with this testing is that, each time CLCOR is run,
the source position in the SU table is changed.  Thus with many repeated
runs, the source is marching off in some direction.  I just ran several
tests, and now the source position is off by several arcseconds.  I
don't know if this is having any effect on the immediate problem, but I
doubt it.  I do see from the history that you ran a very large number of
CLCORs, as I would have if I'd seen something of the sort.

Cheers,

Craig

Mark Reid wrote:
> Craig,
>
>    I finally got around to the test of CLCOR you suggested (looking at
> phase versus time) and the results are bizarre.
>
> Attached is a .tar file with 2 uvplt's.  Both are phase versus time for
> a single 16 MHz IF (averaging channels across the band to incrase SNR)
> on a short baseline (PT-LA). The data were correlated with a position
> offset of (RA*cos(Dec),Dec)=(0.81",0.77")
>
>   1824+10X_CL5.ps   applying standard calibration (CL5)
>
>   1824+10X_CL5.ps   after shifting in CLCOR (CL6)
>
> Something really bad is happening in CLCOR.  The parameters I used were
> as follows:
>
> AIPS 1: CLCOR     Task which applies various corrections to CL tables.
> AIPS 1: Adverbs     Values                 Comments
> AIPS 1: ----------------------------------------------------------------
> AIPS 1: INNAME     '2009NOV16-A1'          Input UV file name (name)
> AIPS 1: INCLASS    'CALDAT'                Input UV file name (class)
> AIPS 1: INSEQ         1                    Input UV file name (seq. #)
> AIPS 1: INDISK        1                    Input UV file disk unit #
> AIPS 1: SOURCES    '1824+10X'              Source list ' '=>all.
> AIPS 1:            *rest ' '
> AIPS 1: STOKES     ' '                     Stokes type to process
> AIPS 1: SELBAND      -1                    Bandwidth to select (kHz)
> AIPS 1: SELFREQ      -1                    Frequency to select (MHz)
> AIPS 1: FREQID       -1                    Freq. ID to select
> AIPS 1: BIF           0                    Lowest IF number 0=>all
> AIPS 1: EIF           0                    Highest IF number 0=>all
> AIPS 1: TIMERANG   *all 0                  Time range to use.
> AIPS 1: ANTENNAS   *all 0                  Antennas to correct.
> AIPS 1: SUBARRAY      0                    Subarray;  0 => 1.
> AIPS 1: GAINVER       5                    Input CL table 0=>high
> AIPS 1: GAINUSE       6                    Output CL table: not =
> AIPS 1:                                    GAINVER -> high+1
> AIPS 1: OPCODE     'ANTC'                  Operation code.
> AIPS 1: CLCORPRM      0           0        Parameters (see HELP CLCOR).
> AIPS 1:               0           0           0.814       0.77
>
> FYI, The .tar file also contains a runfil (TEST1.08D) which documents
> the steps taken to do the "standard" calibration, making CL5.  (It
> starts with CL2 which was generated by VLBATECR.)
>
> I have also put the entire data set as a FITS file on my website
>
>    http://www.cfa.harvard.edu/~reid/2009NOV16-A1.FITS
>
> The file is about 300 MB in size.
>
> Finally, in case it is of any use, I've attached a printout of my
> position fitting program which lists the correlated positions and fitted
> position offsets of sources (those with an "X" at the end of their names
> were correlated with arcsec-ish errors).
>
> Mark

> Mark J. Reid                 Phone: 617-495-7470
> Harvard-Smithsonian CfA      Fax  : 617-495-7345
> [...]

     R. Craig Walker            Array Operations Center
     cwalker at nrao.edu           National Radio Astronomy Observatory
     Phone  575 835 7247        P. O. Box O
     Fax    575 835 7027        Socorro NM 87801   USA