[daip] help solicited

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Mon Jan 18 13:34:28 EST 2010

Gloria Dubner wrote:
> Here I close my session:
>
> kleenex
> AIPS 1: Begin check for any 'standard' scratch files
> AIPS 1: Scratch files -- destroyed:    0  still active:    0
> AIPS 1: Destroyed empty user catalog on disk   4
> AIPS 1: User    2:   123 messages, oldest written 18-JAN-2010  14:12:00
> AIPS 1: Deleted      0 messages
> AIPS 1: Saved POPS environment in area named 'LASTEXIT'
> TVSERVER told to shut down by XAS
> XAS: Quitting NOW.
> AIPS 1: Session command-line history saved.
> AIPS 1: localhos 31DEC09 TST: Cpu=      0.0  Real=     12  IO=         6
> -_______________________________________________________________________
> Here I try to start a new session:
>
> START_AIPS: I am GUESSING you are at a workstation called localhost
> START_AIPS: Starting TV servers on localhost asynchronously
> START_AIPS:  - with Internet Sockets...
> START_AIPS: Starting TPMON daemons on LOCALHOST asynchronously...
> Starting up 31DEC09 AIPS with normal priority
> Begin the one true AIPS number 1 (release of 31DEC09) at priority =   0
> AIPS 1: You are assigned TV device/server   1
> AIPS 1: You are assigned graphics device/server   1
> AIPS 1: Enter user ID number
> ?XASERVERS: Start TV LOCK daemon TVSERV on localhost
> TVSERVER: Starting AIPS TV locking, Inet domain
> XASERVERS: Start XAS on localhost, DISPLAY :0
> XAS: ** TrueColor FOUND!!!
> XAS: ***  Using shared memory option for speed ***
> XAS: Using screen width 1590 height 800,
>      max grey level 8191 in 16 grey-scale memories
> XASERVERS: Start graphics server TEKSRV on localhost, DISPLAY :0
> XASERVERS: Start message server MSGSRV on localhost, DISPLAY :0
> MakeLink: bind error (INET): Address already in use
> TVSERVER told to shut down by XAS
> XAS: Quitting NOW.

This is a temporary problem.  The inet address will stay "in use" until
the operating system gets around to noticing that it is not in fact in
use.  That can take several minutes unfortunately.  Since you are on a
localhost sort of machine, try saying tv=local on the command line.
That often works better and should not have this issue.

Cheers,

Eric