[daip] AIPS update query

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Thu Jan 7 16:37:23 EST 2010

Robert Mutel wrote:
> HI Eric,
>
> We recently discovered that VLBA coordinates are now specified in RH
> convention rather than LH, and that only the latest versions of AIPS
> recognized this (31Dec10?). Hence we will need to update AIPS here at
> Iowa,  -it's probably about time since we have been running 31DEC08
> for a while.
>
> It's been a little while since I ldid an AIPS update, so I wanted to
> confirm a couple of things:
>
> 1. It appears we need to do a fresh install (probably 31DEC10?)
> 2. The install will not delete our current (31DEC08) version
> 3. We are installing on a Linux box  with uname reporting:
>
> uname -a
> Linux phobos.physics.uiowa.edu 2.6.9-89.0.18.ELsmp #1 SMP Wed Nov 25
> 06:15:13 EST 2009 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
>
> I suppose there's a semi-automatic binary install for this O/S?

Fetch the install.pl for 31DEC10, then look over your ~/.AIPSRC file and
perhaps edit it, then do

perl install.pl -n

You could change the architecture to LNX64 if you want - it will perform
better.

1. Yes - a new install is required by cvs.

2. 31DEC08 will remain as version OLD but will not really work if the
architecture changes from LINUX to LNX64.  I suspect the renaming of a
few directories might fix that.  Alternatively you could stay as LINUX
and use the 32-bit executables which run fine of 64 bit machines.

3. you can choose and there are binaries for both.