[daip] Smearing calculation in JMFIT

Vinodiran Arumugam va at roe.ac.uk
Thu Feb 25 07:14:34 EST 2010

Hi,

I'm exploring the smearing correction applied to my data to correct for
the reduction in peak fluxes. It would help if I could understand how
JMFIT varies the half peak beam width (hpbw) used in the smearing equation
(fractional bandwidth x radius in hpbw) across the map.

So for an elliptical beam of bmaj = 1.82, bmin = 1.63 and bpa = -3deg, how
is the hpbw varied to use 1.82 at the nothern/southern most point and 1.63
at the eastern/western most point? What function of position and
major/minor axis is used to calculate the bandwidth smearing?

Thank you,
Vinod