[daip] X-Y mounts in FITS-IDI (and maybe AIPS too)

Walter Brisken wbrisken at nrao.edu
Tue Aug 24 11:52:20 EDT 2010

Hi Eric,

Thanks for the clarifications.

It is now clear that XY in FITS-IDI implies XYEW, and I do now have some
recollection that Richard Dodson did some work to get that into AIPS,
perhaps a while back.

I know of no still-operating XY mounted antenna that is not EW, so there
is no urgency in putting in support for XYNS.  It would be good if this
could be better documented somewhere.  I'm happy to spew massive warnings
in difx code that warn that XYNS is not supported downstream.

If you would like to put in the support for XYNS I'd be happy to make sure
DiFX can properly populate the tables.

Let me know your preference...

Is parallactic angle calculation the only thing AIPS needs mount type for?

-W