[daip] New Ticket - [!UCC-775808]: REBYTE on directory with long file name.

R. Craig Walker do-not-reply at nrao.edu
Wed Aug 18 23:21:56 EDT 2010

New Ticket: REBYTE on directory with long file name.

I am trying to run REBYTE to change the byte order on AIPS files that
I am moving from an Apple Powerbook to my newer MacBook Pro and Mac
Pro.  The data are on an external disk.  I moved the data area to a
different external disk (another saga because there are too many files
for the likes of "mv *", but I defeated it), then created a new data
area on the old disk and tried to run REBYTE to put the data back
in a the new form.  Each time I tried this, REBYTE ran for a few seconds,
then quit with no output information and no output files.

After the first failure, I tried adding the new disk area to DADEVS.LIST
and NETSP.  That didn't help.

Then I added the temporary area were the data were located to the above
files.  No joy.

Thinking there might be problem with too many files like I had with mv,
I copied one user number to a different temporary area, then ran REBYTE
with that as input.  Again no joy.

I did "less" on the MSD001000.001; file to see if I could learn anything.
All that is there from this pass are the closing line with the CPU time
etc.

I finally defeated the problem after wasting most of the evening by
putting a symbolic link in a higher level directory and using that.  I
guess the file path was just too long.  But I got no clue that that
was a problem from anything the program did or said.

Please put a warning about excessively long path names in the help
file.  You might also include the hint to use a symbolic link if the
problem is encountered.  Some sort of "directory not found" error message
would also be very helpful, perhaps reflecting the name so it is obvious
not all the characters are there.

Meanwhile, you might correct the typo in step (1) of the instructions
("amking" should be "making", I presume).

Cheers,

Craig

Ticket Details
Ticket ID: UCC-775808