[daip] problem running aips through nfs

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Wed Aug 4 10:45:19 EDT 2010

Andreas Schruba wrote:
> Dear Eric Greisen,
> I would like to ask for help to run aips31dec08 on my local machine from
> an nfs-mounted disk (installed on an opensuse 10.0 box). I do need to work
> with this older AIPS version to reduce HI data for the LITTLE THINGS
> project, however, I do get error messages when starting AIPS and have
> problems to run tasks (e.g. FILLM).
> I searched my emails and found that we had encountered a very similar
> problem arising about a year ago when we trying to start aips31dec08 on a
> different local machine (see email attached at the bottom). Unfortunately,
> at those times we where not able to solve the problem.
> Thank you very much for your help!
> Kind regards, Andreas Schruba
>
> This is all the terminal output that I get when starting AIPS via:
> /rw/aips311208/START_AIPS tv=local
>

> START_AIPS: Will use or start first available Unix Socket based TV
>
> You have a choice of 3 printers.  These are:
>
>     No. [ type  ] Description
>      1. [     PS] (no description supplied by installer)
>      2. [     PS] (no description supplied by installer)
>      3. [     PS] (no description supplied by installer)
>
> START_AIPS: Enter your choice, or the word QUIT [default is 1]:
> START_AIPS: Your initial AIPS printer is the (no description supplied by
> installer)
> START_AIPS:  - system name laps_w, AIPS type PS
>
> START_AIPS: User data area assignments:
> DADEVS.PL: This program is untested under Perl version 5.010
>   (Using global default file
> /usr/local2/misc/rw/aips311208/DA00/DADEVS.LIST for DADEVS.PL)
>    Disk 1 (1) is /home/aips/DATA/AIDA125_1
>
> Tape assignments:
>    Tape 1 is REMOTE
>    Tape 2 is REMOTE
>
> START_AIPS: Starting TV servers on aida125 asynchronously
> START_AIPS:  - WITH Unix Sockets as requested...
> START_AIPS: Starting TPMON daemons on AIDA125 asynchronously...
> Starting up 31DEC08 AIPS with normal priority
> ZDCHI1: ZERROR: ON FILE DA00:SPD000000;
> ZDCHI1: ZERROR: IN ZDAOPN ERRNO = 13 (Permission denied)
>  ZDCHIN: COULD NOT READ PARAMETER FILE
>  ZDCHIN: (USING MINIMUM SYSTEM CONFIGURATION)
> Begin the one true AIPS number 1 (release of 31DEC08) at priority =   0
> AIPS 1: ZERROR: ON FILE DA00:SPD000000;
> AIPS 1: ZERROR: IN ZDAOPN ERRNO = 13 (Permission denied)
>  ZDCHIN: COULD NOT READ PARAMETER FILE
>  ZDCHIN: (USING MINIMUM SYSTEM CONFIGURATION)
> AIPS 1: You are not on a local TV device, welcome stranger
> AIPS 1: You are assigned TV device/server  26
> AIPS 1: You are assigned graphics device/server  26
> AIPS 1: Enter user ID number
> DADEVS.PL: This program is untested under Perl version 5.010
> ?UNIXSERVERS: Start TV LOCK daemon TVSRV1 on aida125
> TVSERVER: Starting AIPS TV locking, Unix (local) domain
> UNIXSERVERS: Start XAS1 on aida125, DISPLAY sirius3.mpia-hd.mpg.de:1143.0
> XAS: ** TrueColor FOUND!!!
> XAS: Cannot use shared memory on remote XAS link
> Host name is AIDA125, display shows it at SIRIUS3.MPIA-HD.MPG.DE
> [...]

I am assuming that your computer cross-mounts the disk on the file
server.  There is a data area called $DA00 although you may not have
that logical set until aips tries to start.  The area is found at
     $AIPS_ROOT/DA00/AIDA32/
where I take the name of your machine to be AIDA32.  That directory
must have group read-write privilege and the files within that area must
also have group read-write privilege.  And the process you are trying to
run aips in must have the same group as established on the files (or the
same account name).

Note that we run our site here with almost 100 computers configured this
way.  For most of them, but not all, we actually place the equivalent of
the AIDA32 directory on AIDA32 and make the file in $AIPS_ROOT/DA00
named AIDA32 be a symbolic link to the directory resident on AIDA32.
This saves problems with the file locking function which AIPS has always
felt to be necessary.

The code of ZDAOPN passes an error code back to the Fortran that
actually generates the message and there is no way to tell whether the
permission denied comes from the open function or the lock function.
Two things to try - 1. Go into the AIDA32 $DA00 area and change
permssions to world rw and see if anything changes.  2. Then try a
rename of SPD* to something else.  See if the error message changes.
If the AIDA32 $DA00 area is on the file server - copy the files to an
area on AIDA32 and change the AIDA32 directory in $AIPS_ROOT/DA00 to
some temporary name and make instead a symbolic link to the area
actually on AIDA32.  Try again and see if anything has changed.  NOTE I
would make the copy of the files before you start renaming and things.