[daip] TV server problem

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Thu Apr 29 10:51:42 EDT 2010

Modhurita Mitra wrote:
> Hi Eric,
>
> I am logged in from my laptop to my desktop at work. The messages I get are:
>
> AIPS_VERSION=/export/appl/modhurit/aips/31DEC07
> START_AIPS: Will use or start first available Unix Socket based TV
> START_AIPS: Your initial AIPS printer is the
> START_AIPS:  - system name , AIPS type
>
> START_AIPS: User data area assignments:
>   (Using global default file /export/appl/modhurit/aips/DA00/DADEVS.LIST
> for DADEVS.PL <http://DADEVS.PL>)
>    Disk 1 (1) is /scr/faraday/modhurit/FARADAY_1
>
> Tape assignments:
>    Tape 1 is REMOTE
>    Tape 2 is REMOTE
>
> START_AIPS: Starting TV servers on faraday asynchronously
> START_AIPS:  - WITH Unix Sockets as requested...
> START_AIPS: Starting TPMON daemons on FARADAY asynchronously...
> Starting up 31DEC07 AIPS with normal priority
> Begin the one true AIPS number 3 (release of 31DEC07) at priority =   0
> AIPS 3: You are not on a local TV device, welcome stranger
> AIPS 3: You are assigned TV device/server   2
> AIPS 3: You are assigned graphics device/server   2
> AIPS 3: Enter user ID number
> ?UNIXSERVERS: TVSRV1 is already running on host faraday, user modhurit
> UNIXSERVERS: Start XAS1 on faraday, DISPLAY localhost:16.0
> UNIXSERVERS: Start graphics server TKSRV1 on faraday, display localhost:16.0
> XAS: ** TrueColor FOUND!!!
> XAS: Cannot use shared memory on remote XAS link
> XAS: !!! Shared memory not selected !!!
> XAS: Using screen width height 1910 1100, max grey level 255
> UNIXSERVERS: Start message server MSSRV1 on faraday, display localhost:16.0
> STARTPMON: [FARADAY] Starting TPMON1 with output SUPPRESSED
> ZVTPO3: tcp/aipsmt0 is not a service
> ZVTPO3: check /etc/services or NIS map!
> 1009
> AIPS 3:                          31DEC07 AIPS:
> AIPS 3:      Copyright (C) 1995-2007 Associated Universities, Inc.
> AIPS 3:            AIPS comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY;
> AIPS 3:                 for details, type HELP GNUGPL
> AIPS 3: This is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it
> AIPS 3: under certain conditions; type EXPLAIN GNUGPL for details.
> AIPS 3: Previous session command-line history *not* recovered.
> AIPS 3: TAB-key completions enabled, type HELP READLINE for details.
> AIPS 3: Recovered POPS environment from last exit
>  >tget pcntr
>  >go
> AIPS 3: Resumes
>  >

> Can you figure out from this what is going wrong?

Not really I'm afraid.  Does the AIPS TV window appear on the laptop?
and the message server window?  What happens with verbs like TVINIT and
TVLOAD?

Do you have aips on the laptop?  If so, you could start aips there to
get local servers.  Then when you start aips on faraday (the desktop I
assume) you would say
     aips tv=laptop tvok

What does your aips command line look like?

What happens outside aips when you say (in the faraday window)
echo $DISPLAY
xlogo

ERic Greisen