[daip] setup_aips command not found

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Thu Apr 22 12:05:12 EDT 2010

Dan Klopp wrote:
> Eric Greisen wrote:
>> Dan Klopp wrote:
>>> I have a user on nekkar.cv.nrao.edu, user is Rachel Friesen (rfriesen),
>>> who
>>> reports the following problem:
>>>
>>> ============================
>>> - when opening a terminal, I always get the message "setup_aips:
>>> Command not found." This message used to pop up earlier and aips
>>> still worked, but now it doesn't. I get the following errors when
>>> trying to run aips:
>>> ZMSGOP: FILE DA01:MSD001000.001; NOT FOUND
>>> MSGWRT ERROR 2 AT OPEN
>>> AIPS 1: ZOPEN: FILE DA00:SPD000000; NOT FOUND
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> rachel

>> There is no command setup_aips so I suspect that this is something in
>> her startup scripts.  What computer is she on?
>>
>> I am sending this to the helpdesk since her computer may require being
>> set up to run aips.
>>
>> Eric Greisenn
> Actually, I am from the CV helpdesk.  I should have mentioned that.
>
> The computer is nekkar.cv.nrao.edu
>
> -Dan

I have taken a more detailed look.  This time I did get /home/nekkar to
mount and set up the proper link file in $AIPS_ROOT/DA00 named NEKKAR
and populated it with SYSETUP NEKKAR.  I can now run aips on it.

Whether your user can is another question since CV does not put a link
named aips to $AIPS_ROOT/START_AIPS in the /usr/local/bin.

The setup_aips comes from the user's .tcshrc.Linux file and is an
ancient reference to various setup_* files which are supposed to be
found automagically (I forget where they are/were).  The only one not
commented out in her file is the setup_aips one - comment it out to get
rid of the message.  It did do something useful (source
$AIPS_ROOT/LOGIN.CSH or . $AIPS_ROOT/LOGIN.SH) once upon a time.

ERic Greisen