[daip] MAXIF

Olaf Wucknitz wucknitz at astro.uni-bonn.de
Mon Apr 19 11:51:30 EDT 2010

Hi Eric,

> Simple suggestion - rename 31DEC10 to some name such SAVE10.  Do your text
> install.  Then rename the new 31DEC10 to e.g. 32DEC10 and rename SAVE10 to
> 31DEC10.  In the AIPSPATH.CSH and >SH files in your $AIPS_ROOT area there are
> 4 "standard" version names.  Change CVX to point at your test version and then
> say version='cvx' whenever you need the large MAXIF version.  This does not
> require the help files to be in the load area or anything annoying like that
> (but required for small local test tasks).

that seems to work fine. Thanks!

I was able to compile a version with higher MAXIF and run a few tasks (as
test) without crashing and without complaints that 120 IFs are too many.
Could you give me a hint how to rebuild only those bits that need it
without compiling everything? Well, for changes like MAXIF this may be the
same, but not for more local changes.

> I attach a script I use to examine consequences of changes like this - run it
> on your $TST and $CVX versions directing the output to different files and
> then compare.

There was no script attached.

> You could use the result to argue that I should increase the
> public MAXIF.  I may have to increase MAXCIF for the EVLA
> but would rather not do MAXIF unless it is cheap.  (New code tends to use
> dynamic memory more esp in the case of number IFs - they are usually 2 or 4 so
> 90 is a gross overkill.)

I guess I won't argue for increasing it in the general version. I may be
the only person needing this at the moment, so it is probably not worth
the effort. I will work with my local version for the time being.

Cheers,
Olaf